First, today when I was going to lunch, I noticed that the parking lot was wet. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the water was seeping UP through the cracks in tar. I think the snow must have been melting into the grass, then soaking into the ground, and because there was so much water, it was coming back up through the cracks. Weird.
Second, I've decided without any kind of scientific proof that fat people have to burn more calories when they exercise than thin people do. There's no way that hauling around all that extra weight doesn't impact the equation somehow. I went for a little walk around the hotel parking lot tonight, and that was my thought. I was thinking about how funny it is when doctors and other well meaning thin people tell me to "just go walking for 15 minutes every day." Translation: "just put on your 200 pound weights and go walking for 15 minutes." Yea, that's more what it's like. By the time I had walked around the parking lot twice, my face was red and I was out of breath. Like I said, that HAS to burn more calories than the "average" person doing the same exercise.
Third, and by far the most amazing phenomenon, is how some people affect my life. I have had the chance to spend some time with one of my friends recenlty who hasn't been around much over the past 20 years. Miraculous things are happening in his life, and just talking to him about it has made miraculous things start to happen in my own life. The other day, we had this big discussion about God and prayer and the like. Talking about that with him has changed my outlook so much. I have actually started praying again, which is something that I haven't done for a long time. I haven't really wanted to have much at all to do with church or religion for quite a while. But, as I said, I've been praying more and more over the past week, and my attitude and outlook on life has been changing. I have had moments when I just feel so much gratitude. For the first time in a long time, I want to start living life again - really living life.
On my way home from work I was singing in the car, and all of the sudden, I thought how great it would be to take voice lessons. Maybe that doesn't seem miraculous for the "lay" person, but for me, that's huge. I have become so accostomed to waiting for life to drag on by, after all, what was there really to live for anyway? Okay, part of that attitude was not knowing what was affecting my mood, and finding the right solution has helped a lot. Still, I hadn't really had any desire to make life happen. I had been content just to let it happen TO me, but something over the past week has made me start looking at things in a different light. I have become excited to make life happen, and I have John to thank for that. He has a way of making me want to be a better person. He's always had that affect on me, even when we were teenagers. What a gift. I would love to be the kind of person who makes people their best selves just by being around them. I have been blessed with some of the greatest friends. I don't know how I am so lucky, but I'm sure glad I am.
1 comment:
Come visit me. I'll give you voice lessons for free. We can play. One thing I've missed since I moved from ID was giving voice lessons. It was theraputic for me too. Now I just deal with 5th graders so come out some weekend and we can sing up a storm together. Sometimes life just goes in spurts. Glad that you are on an up spurt:)
Post a Comment