Thursday, April 21, 2011

Weathering The Storm

Yesterday after work as I was leaving to run some errands, I noticed this bird sitting on my fence.  It was starting to rain, but she didn't seem bothered by it at all.  She just sat there.  Then I started my car and I thought for sure that would scare her off, but she just looked over in my direction and then turned back away.  So I rolled down my window and took a picture.  Again, she was unaffected.  She was happy right where she was.
As I was thinking about this later, I realized that even though it was storming, and I could have been perceived as a danger, she stood her ground.  She wasn't moved by the rain or wind or any other outside force.  She was content where she was, and she looked like she was hunkered down for whatever else was going to come her way.
I think she taught me an important lesson.  When a storm comes blowing into my life, I tend to toss and turn and flail around in the wind.  But what if I stand my ground?  Wait out the storm?  I've never seen a storm yet that lasts forever - real or figurative.  The storm leaves, the sun comes out, and the world looks and smells different than it did during the storm.  So, when I'm flailing, I just need to pray for some faith, be patient, and know that everything will work out as experience has shown me it always does.


MARK 4:39
And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still.  And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.

1 comment:

Lucy van Pelt said...

What a wonderful lesson to be reminded of. I think I need to focus on this more as well. Really, life is good, storms and all.