Saturday, April 28, 2012

Music moves mountains

This morning I was listening to a recent conference talk by Elder Neil L. Anderson.  He spoke of a child trapped under the rubble in Haiti after the earthquake.  This child said he knew that  if he sang, his dad would find him, so he started singing his favorite song - "I  am a Child of God."
That reminded me of an instance in my own life when I learned the powerful effect of music.  Roll the real back twenty years when I was sitting in the BYU Marriott Center with my friends listening to our beloved prophet, Howard W. Hunter speak to us.  Without warning, this man bounds up from the audience, grabs president Hunter, wields what we all thought was some kind of weapon, and demanded that president Hunter read something over the pulpit. (we later learned that he wanted president Hunter to denounce himself as the prophet and pronounce this man to be the leader of the church.)
With 10,000 plus people filling the Marriott Center chaos ensued.  People started screaming.  Guys were yelling at him to leave president Hunter alone.  Girls were screaming and crying.  Others were screaming to tell them to be quiet.  Then out of nowhere, I heard singing.  Someone had started to sing "We Thank Thee, Oh God, for a Prophet."  Others joined in, and soon the whole audience was singing this wonderful song in honor of our dear prophet who was standing before us being held hostage.  The screaming and chaos ceased, and the arena was filled with the spirit of God.   Distracted by the singing, and undoubtedly the spirit that engulfed the building the hostage taker looked away for just a moment allowing president Hunter's body guards the opportunity to tackle the man and rescue president Hunter.
To this day I have no idea what president Hunter talked about that night.  To me that fireside was about the love of God and the healing, majestic, power of music!

1 comment:

My Heart Squared said...

Oh my heavens, that SAME thing happened during the general RS Meeting President Hunter attended in the Tabernacle while he served as the prophet, except without the gun and the perp.

I remember the session ending and the cameras were turned off. The tabernacle organ was well into the postlude when out of the balcony came a voice "We Thank Thee O God, for a Prophet." That voice mutliplied to two, then four, then eight. It powerfully glided down from the balcomy to the main floor, making it's way to the organ. The organ stopped playing and then quietly and powerfully joined the voices of sisters testifying of God's great work and a living prophet of the earth. It is an experience that I will NEVER, EVER forget!

Thank you for reminding me!