I was listening to Christian talk radio on the way to the airport today in Oklahoma, and it made me think of my own trials in a different sort of light. The speaker was talking about when Jesus was at the beginning of the atonement and he asked God if there was any other way to do it. God said "no." That was the only way. He had to bleed from every pour and die on the cross, even though he didn't want to do it. Then the speaker said "Aren't you glad He did it anyway?" Aren't we glad He said "Thy will be done?"
That got me thinking about my own trials, and how I approach them. I don't usually say, "Okay, just checking, I'll do it Your way." I whine and cry and beg and plead for things to be different. But what if, at the end of my life, people look at me and say, "Aren't you glad she did it anyway?" "Aren't you glad she never got married and had kids?" "Aren't you glad she wasn't a skinny, beauty queen?"
How we have been blessed by Jesus' willingness to go through That trial is apparent to us all. He blessed all of mankind. To me, right now, it's not so apparent why I don't have kids or why I battle weight or why I'm not married to the love of my life, but in the end, will I be able to look back and say "I'm glad I did it anyway?" Will I see the blessings to my own life and to the lives of others? I hope so. In the meantime, it makes me want to start using my trials to bless the lives of those around me.
1 comment:
Trials. I thought about that one day for a long. long time. So long that the thought of trials trailed into weeks. And that was when I realized that really, when it comes to trials - I AM THE ONE ON TRIAL.
Will I be faithful when I feel faithless?
Will I be brave when I really feel puny weak?
Will I be forgiving when revenge really feels better at the moment?
Like you, I don't have the answers as to WHY we have the trials that we do, but the greater question I guess, is this: "Why should we think to earn a great reward, if we now shun the fight?" :)
Let's fight on. I hear the rewards are OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!
Post a Comment