Covered in paint dust, hot, sweaty and tired, I finally looked at my wall, turned off the electric sander and said to myself "that's gonna have to be good enough." Could it be that this is what I was supposed to learn from this whole paint disaster? I mean, so what if you can see imperfections in the wall when I'm done painting? So what if it doesn't look perfect? It has to look better than it does right now.
Usually failure to obtain perfection in my life has caused me to give up all together, but I cannot do that in this instance. This is my living room we are talking about. It seems as I look back over the past 6 months or so, I have been given ample opportunity to learn this lesson, and yet it still seems to evade me.
I think somewhere along the road I was told "do your best" and I heard "be perfect."
Perhaps I can take comfort in what Elder Russell M. Nelson said in the following quote:
"We need not be dismayed if our earnest efforts toward perfection now seem so arduous and endless. Perfection is pending. It can come in full only after the Resurrection and only through the Lord. It awaits all who love him and keep his commandments. It includes thrones, kingdoms, principalities, powers, and dominions."
So, I'm not going to sand my wall down to the drywall. I smoothed out the streaks as much as possible, and now I'll pray that the paint will stick to the wall and look good enough that I can live with it.

No comments:
Post a Comment