Oh me, oh my... how does a project that I think will take a day turn into an all out catastrophe?
I've been wanting to paint an accent wall in my living room for quite some time and today was going to be the day. Yesterday I bought some paint samples and proceeded to paint them all on the wall. Finally deciding on a color, I was ready for action. I started to paint over the colors I didn't want with primer when I noticed that the primer wasn't sticking to the wall. It looked like it was pealing off as I rolled over it with the roller. I finally got all the paint samples covered up and went to buy my paint. When I got home, the primer had cracked and some of it had run down my wall and dried in big ugly streaks. What U.P.P.P???Frustrated, I sat down to cry. I talked to my brother, Todd, and, after he got done mocking me for crying over paint, he said that the paint that had originally been on the wall must have been oil based, which means that it is super slick and nothing sticks to it. So, what now? I had to sand the whole wall and try to make it more porous so my paint would stick to it. I was frustrated and tired (from a week of insomnia), not to mention that I've never undertaken a project like this at my current weight and age, and it feels like a lot more work than it used to. So, with little energy and even less morale, I went upstairs to take a nap. When I was somewhat rested I had a better attitude about the project and proceeded to sand my wall.
I've been trying to think all day about what I can learn from this experience, but I got nothin'. My house looks like a construction zone, I have to work all next week, and I'm planning to have a bunch of little girls over for a sleep over next weekend. I was hoping to have my house in order by then. What's a girl to do? Maybe this would be a good time to take a "personal day" from work!
One blessing, though, truth be told, was finding the color I finally settled on. I tried a few different colors out last night and wasn't in love with any of them, so this morning when I went back to find some other colors, I prayed that I would find a color that I loved. That's exactly what happened. I'm so excited to see the finished product, I've just been frustrated that things haven't gone as planned. But then, really, do they ever? It seems that my plans are often frustrated by a "better" plan, if you will. Maybe there is something I will learn from this experience - other than the fact that I now know my walls have oil based paint on them, and you can't just paint over the top of that.
Maybe I just need to learn to deal with things better when they don't go my way. Whatever the lesson, I'm sure I'll find one... eventually.
In the meantime, I'm just trying to be patient with the fact that my house looks like a disaster area and it probably will for a few days.

No comments:
Post a Comment