1. When the guy at Sherwin Williams tries to talk you into the more expensive paint claiming that it has "self smoothing" powers that make it so the roller marks disappear on their own, smile politely and tell him the "cheap" stuff will do fine. The expensive stuff doesn't "roll on like butter" and it doesn't smooth itself.
2. Never buy another brand of primer instead of Kilz!
3. Make sure the wall you are painting isn't covered in oil base or high gloss paint BEFORE you start painting.
4. It's worth it to sacrifice one of your less desirable kitchen towels to have a "painting towel" that you can keep damp and have beside you. I wiped off so many unwanted mistakes. I can't believe I've never thought of that before.
5. If you plan on sitting down on the furniture, don't wipe your paint covered hands on your bum.
6. An edger is totally worth the couple bucks you spend on it.
7. Trying out samples prior to buying a whole gallon is totally the way to go.
8. Find a good friend that will come help you clean up and rearrange furniture when you are done. Thanks for your help Jane, you are a life saver!!
9. The windows and the fireplace in my living room are not centered with one another. Who designed these condos anyway. Jane and I totally want get HGTV involved in doing something to our living rooms. I think even THEY would have a challenge with this layout.
10. Go bolder. It's totally worth it.
11. If you MUST sand, heavy grit sand paper and an electric sander are totally the way to go.
12. If you're going to put color in one room, be ready to catch a bug that will make you want to put some everywhere.
13. Perfection is over rated!
14. The long couch really does look better against the long wall.
15. Arranging something on the diagonal adds a LOT of spunk to a boring, overstuffed room.
16. It's time for me to take the plunge and start integrating house plants back into my home. BUT can I keep them alive? I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...
17. When all else fails, go ahead and sit down and cry. Just get back up and keep going when you're done.
18. Forget about what happens when it's time to resell. Make your place your own and love it while you have it!
19a. You should allow 4 hours between applying 2 coats of latex paint.
19b. Ask.com is a great place to find such useful facts.
20. If you ask Heavenly Father to help you find a paint color that you'll really love, he'll do it!! Ha, maybe He's the Ultimate Ask.com!
19b. Ask.com is a great place to find such useful facts.
3 comments:
Wonderful life lessons! The things you said apply to so many areas of life.
Are you going to post pictures of your painted space now?
:0)Kamie
#18 is so true! You can always paint everything white again if you need to sell the place. It's better to love it while you're in it than to stay bland for someone else. Hey! That could be a good metaphor for life.
Who would have thunk that you could learn 20 lessons in just one paint job! My favorite was #20. Heavenly Father truly is the Ultimate Ask.com!!!
Post a Comment